Qualatex Sempertex
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Busking
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:20 pm 

You need to approach busking with the attitude of gratitude.

Use the same thank you for a 5 year old giving a coin as you would an adult handing you a fiver. (20's and better get a hearty 10Q)

Idea I have had for years is to make a really good balloon sculpture 10 - 15 minute job..... watch it gather a crowd ..... and then auction it off!!!

Yeah you can make a quick money twisting dogs and swords, but don't it leave you a little hollow inside?

"Bad to the Balloon"
http://www.balloonguy.net
http://www.youtube.com/theballoonguy
http://www.myspace.com/markballoonguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:41 pm 

I make big stuff and little stuff and I currently only ask a dollar per balloon. I love making the big stuff, its fun for me. The only problem is if you get a big line and your making fancy stuff it can take a while to get through the people. Also once you have made the fancy stuff you cant really tell someone no. Most of the time when I make a fancy one people tip extra for the work also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:47 pm 

Is that a dollar a balloon model or a dollar per balloon used in the model ?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:08 pm 

A dollar regardless of how many balloons I use. Generally if it is really fancy I get a tip anyways. When I go to Florida to do street performing and busking I will charge more for complicated balloons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09 am 

I ONLY do busking. I do like the idea to auction more complicated figures. I know colleagues who busk this way. But for me I usually make hats from 3-5 260's, Addi style. It's fast and they are really eyecatchers. In the beginning I made 1 or 2 balloon doggies and swords but after a while you don't feel comfortable anymore doing this in a row. I only use 260's, 160's, 5" rounds, 5" hearts. All the other shapes and inprints are to expensive for busking, especially some from Q.
I know a balloon "artist" who for several years now only makes dogs, giraffes ands swords, nothing else: he don't want to develop his skills, this works fine for him. The strange thing is he almost makes the same money as me doing more attracting figures. Standard price: 1€ per balloon (no, not 1$ or 1£ :lol: )
I'm proud to be a busker: it takes a lot of effort, panache and guts to perform every time on different unknown locations. I'm sure I make the same money (or more) then most balloonartists who are doing parties etc. All respect to you guys! :P I'm often asked for parties and stuff but I don't have the talent to entertain a group of people for a couple of hours, I know my limits. Also it's a fact when people ask me to perform on a homeparty they think I work for a nickle and a dime..I suggest them to visit some booking agencies and investigate their prices pro hour. Often, not always, they go in shock :roll: They also want to book you mostly in the weekends, not possible because I want to busk! That's the downsite of busking: you can do it only in the weekends and during the holiday seasons. My biggest motivation to do this is that you are your own boss, you start and finish whenever you want and don't have to listen to people who hire you and think they own you.
I would like to hear more from you guys, buskers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:26 pm 

Parcival, you answered a question I was wondering myself in one of your posts. Can you busk during the week? I expected during the times when children are in school the balloon business would be a bust (excuse the bad pun). I have some magic acts aimed for adults I am going to try to fill in with at these times. Things like fire eating, glass eating, a razor blade swallowing and slight of hand act, real don't try this at home kind of stuff. Is it bad during the evening when children are out of school though? I'm sure it is somewhat location specific, I'm just curious to hear other people's experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm 

Busking appears to be a personal choice, however my son lost his job in the summer. So we decided to go busking. We did 55 minutes and took £39. He did most of the work as I was there for morale support. The lady who laughed most at his jokes was the local police lady, we had no problems at at all. Why such a short time? It lashed with rain.
My thoughts are that it is not a lot if money, but if one did say, 5 hours per day it would be OK. It's great fun(once you start) and a great way of getting experience. (Since that day he has taken on some paid shows)
So if you are thinking about. Stop thinking: and just do it.
On a personal level it was a fantastic experience watching my son, doing what I love to do, and now seeing him developing his own show.
Down side: is that he keeps pinching my jokes!

http://www.davehendy.co.uk

Last edited by Dave Hendy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:14 am 

mrmagic4 wrote:
Parcival, you answered a question I was wondering myself in one of your posts. Can you busk during the week? I expected during the times when children are in school the balloon business would be a bust (excuse the bad pun). I have some magic acts aimed for adults I am going to try to fill in with at these times. Things like fire eating, glass eating, a razor blade swallowing and slight of hand act, real don't try this at home kind of stuff. Is it bad during the evening when children are out of school though? I'm sure it is somewhat location specific, I'm just curious to hear other people's experiences.

Nope, no busking during the week, no kids, no tourists..Busking after school is not worthwhile, the kids don't have any money :o

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 am 

they do if you hold them up by there feet and shake them :twisted:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 am 

I'd have thought Lincoln Christmas Market would be a good busking opportunity for you Craig - or is it tightly controlled?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next