Qualatex Sempertex
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don Caldwell, Star Interview 23rd/27th March
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 pm 

fairby wrote:
Will you sign my 'Ripleys Believe or Not' Book on the page you are on with your balloon wedding dress (not you in a dress, if you see what i mean) :D

I would be honored to sign it for you, but I must warn you that the moment I sign anything the re-sale value drops drastically!

http://BusterBalloon.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm 

Hi Don, who would you most like to make a balloon model for and why? What woud you make them ?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:35 am 

Normski wrote:
Hi Donald,

I also had the pleasure of attending ur classes at TMJ and having a shot of tequilla with you on your birthday,(you also gave me ur personal copy of vol 4 ) what i would really like to know is.....................

1) How is your daughter?? :P ( i owe you:)

2) Who or what inspires your new designs?

3) Who is your favourite balloon artist alive or dead & why

4) Do you care that there are so many "Caldwedians"
running around pretending to be you??? (speak for myself)

5) Can you make the class on 29 may the best one as i cant go to the one in June!!

Thanks

Normski

Hola Normski!

1) She is great. Thanks for asking.

2) Mostly cartoons, as well as studying other artists. Michael Godard, Gris Grimley, Eric Pigor, Basil Gogos, Olivia, John K., Tex Avery, and Wyland just to name a few.

3) David Grist. His impact on this industry was, and continues to be astonishing, and the fact that he did it in such a short span of time makes it all the more amazing. Beyond his twisting skills, his humor, warmth, and sharing deeply touched all who met him. Truly one of a kind.

4) Harry Anderson said, "The only thing you ever really own, is what you eat. And even that is only a loan".

I am deeply flattered that so many people are inspired by my work. And the ones who really subscribe to my demented ramblings, also know how much emphasis I put on being unique, and being yourself. For me, the highest praise is seeing someone using one of my sculptures, or routines, or even marketing ideas, but doing it as themselves.

5) Yes, but don't tell the others.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am 

I have to say I have not thought of any questions to ask Don, but I am loving reading this interview.

We may not be in the same league but we do have a very similar outlook on what we do in this industry, and it is refeshing to read.

Hope fully we will meet up when you are in the UK - I have diaried it.

In the meantime Please keep me smiling and laughing.

Kindest Regards

Pam

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:20 pm 

Professor T Wist wrote:
Hi Don, who would you most like to make a balloon model for and why? What woud you make them ?

Funny you should ask, I am going to be doing that very thing soon. Unfortunately I am sworn to secrecy on the project, at least for now ; )

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:32 pm 

What is your personal goal when you set off to work? Is it money or to entertain etc?

To entertain, and to create special moments and memories for my audience. I know that if I can do that, the money will always follow.

What are your balloon goals for the future?

I am in the process of building my small family show, into a full theater show, and creating a line of merchandise to sell after the show.

If you could start all over again, would you change anything?

I would have studied business and marketing much earlier, and I would have pursued performing as a full time career much earlier too. And that really hot girl who I was just friends with in high school, even though we both really liked each other, but I was too busy being the nice guy and comforting her when the jerks she dated broke her heart, I would totally make out with her.

How would you like the future of balloon modeling to develop?

I would like to see our art taken more seriously by the public and by other artists, and just a little less seriously by us.

Who's the most famous person you have made a balloon creation for?

I made Kermit the Frog for Brian Henson, son of Jim Henson and the head of "Jim Henson Studios". I also got to twist a Betty Page balloon for Olivia, the world renown pin-up artist, and a Mary Poppins balloon for the wife of one of the Sherman brothers who wrote the music for the film, as well as Winni the Pooh, and many other Disney classics.

How do you keep the enthusiasm going & what still excites you about our great world of latex?

I love the fact that there is always something new to play with. Balloon twisting and balloon entertainment are both so new in the grand scheme of things, that I cannot imagine them becoming stale or boring anytime soon. Especially when you look at magic, juggling, theater, painting, and sculpting, all centuries older than our art form, and yet they see new innovations all the time. It is very exciting. I really think we are still in our infancy.

What inspires or is your thought process in coming up with a new design?

A) I see something like a cartoon character or a toy and decide that I HAVE to try to make it out of balloons.

B) Every time I learn a new technique or find a new kind of balloon or accessory, I play with it, experiment with it to see what it is capable of, and usually discover several new sculptures in the process. Thelma Levett showed me two new techniques at Millenium Jam las year, and I spent the next 5 hours in the jam room playing with them.

Who would you like to work with dead or alive?

Alive.

What makes you laugh?

People who think they know, or have seen everything, and Sponge Bob.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:54 pm 

Hi Don,
When are you going to Holland? At what event? So I can travel from Belgium with the speed of light to follow your class..I loved your classes at TMJ 2008. I met a legend! I'm not worthy.. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:55 am 

Buster Balloon wrote:
And that really hot girl who I was just friends with in high school, even though we both really liked each other, but I was too busy being the nice guy and comforting her when the jerks she dated broke her heart, I would totally make out with her.

Well there we we're, Danny and I having a coffee in the service station on the way back from the Leeds performance day and reading the above from Don and we both burst out laughing with everyone looking around at us :D :lol:
A great quote.

http://www.balloonartwholesale.co.uk
http://www.sempertexballoons.co.uk

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:48 am 

Pam Pearce wrote:
Hope fully we will meet up when you are in the UK - I have diaried it.

In the meantime Please keep me smiling and laughing.

Kindest Regards

Pam

That's what I'm here for.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:27 pm 

When you set out to create the characters for Balloon Manor, did you have faces in mind or did you just make them up as you went along? (They all seem to have their own personalities.)

Do you still practice balloons at home?

Have you ever been attacked while inside a 6' balloon? ;)

I thought I'd have a million questions for you. Other than, "May I borrow your creativity for the day...", I'm at a loss. You are truly my favorite balloon artist. Thank you for all you've given me and the rest of the balloon world.
Hugs!
Marie

Profile WWW  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next