Qualatex Sempertex
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: July 2010 - Portfolios of your balloon work
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 am 

Howdy,
Brian Getz here. New to the forum, but figured I'd dive in. For reference, my portfolio is online at Briansballoons.com
How do you decide what photos to put in a portfolio? I have a lot of pictures in mine. I front-load it with my large-scale sculptures to wow folks, then have pictures of cute kids with cute balloons later on. I actually swapped a few old ones out in my last incarnation as I'd simply made better work since then.
Do you watermark? Nope. I have it online as a PDF so it's a tad harder to steal than a JPG, but still possible if you really want it. My thought is that if they can make the sculpture already then I figure they liked my camera work and if they can't make the sculpture I get to laugh, knowing they set their clients' expectations too high.
Is it just the balloon sculpture, or are you in it/the recipient? I like to pose with a good number of my large sculptures (30 hours and up) for scale and so folks know it really was me who made it, not some picture I got on the internet. (I have plenty of pictures that I don't need to "borrow" anyone else's. Not that I would anyway)
Photo albums? Online? On your Website? Whats best??? My portfolio is created in word, saved as a pdf and uploaded to the website as a flipbook. [url]Briansballoons.com[/url] I also have a copy laminated that comes with me to every event, including restaurants. It's amazing how many young adults would pass on balloons, but re-think it once they see I've made a full-size elephant. The portfolio lets them know I do bigger and better stuff than they're used to. Also, for parents considering me for a party it lets them know that even though I only made their kid a 2 balloon duck hat I can do a bang-up job at special events.
Any other ideas for Portfolios? Don't forget a page at the end that talks about parties and tells em to ask you for a card.

Post subject: Re: July 2010 - Portfolios of your balloon work
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 am 

I was thinking of placing a 'tablet' with an album showing examples of my work on my table...