Qualatex Sempertex
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just Marie interview 20/26th April
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm 

Obviously Shonna and her family appeared on Sabado Gigante with me. We had an amazing time. It was only my second experience making dresses that actually had to fit on models. Shonna had just returned from the now famous China festival. We were to make three dresses and had three days to do it. We created the dresses in what was normally the star of the show's lounge. While we were working, several cast members would drop in and wonder what we were doing and why. When we explained that the balloon dresses were to appear on their show they were just amazed. The dresses, as well as the sculptures and hats, were a huge hit with the live audience.

I have since made over 50 dresses in a variety of styles.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm 

Hi Just Marie,

I'm an entertainer and twister and can really appreciate the skill, patience and talent that goes into making balloon dresses. At the moment is it not for me. (Plus my weaving skills are terrible!).

My question is this, what attracts and inspires YOU to balloon dress design?

best wishes
Danny the Idiot

http://www.DannyTheIdiot.com
Follow me on Twitter at @danny_the_idiot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 pm 

I search fabric dresses on the internet. I find prom, evening, cocktail, even club dresses and try to emulate those designs and styles. Being able to visualize the flow of the fabric makes shaping the "garment" easier. Very few of my designs are "truly original". I've started a series of designer dresses including Pucci, Burberry -that I've completed - with Betsey Johnson, Anna Sui, Oleg Cassini and others to follow.

Image Image Image Image Image

As for your weaving skills... the only way to improve them is to practice, practice, practice! Go for consistency.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 pm 

What irritates you most at a gig?
Here's where my outspokenness comes into play. Nothing bothers me more than rude parents. I can't stand it when the parents stand behind the children and say, "Tell her what you want." Wouldn't it be much nicer to say, "Ask her for..." or "Why don't you request..." I know it's just a question of semantics, but why not teach the children manners and to be polite?

How do you book yourself?
Because for the most part I'm a hobbyist, most of my bookings come from my website. I've gone to great lengths to make sure that my site contains all the right keywords and text to rank me very high on the search engines. That may sound a bit hypocritical, but I take pride in my work/art and want it represented well.

What has been your proudest achievement in our wonderful world of twisted latex?
Probably when my balloon dress finally appeared on The Disney Channel. The first time I saw the preview for the episode I was so excited. It takes months from the filming to the actual air date. I was pretty amazing seeing the final product.

What advice would you give to someone starting out, or wanting to increase their business?
Listen to all the advice you get, but choose only what works for you. One minute someone will state adamantly that THIS is the only way you should do something. Then, not two minutes later, someone else will say THAT should never be done. I was once at a jam where a balloon twister stated that to be really good you have to use the entire balloon. I didn't understand this logic AT ALL! But, to them, it was fact.
As for increasing their business... Create a really good business card and hand them out generously. An easy to navigate website is imperative. Be seen! In the states, restaurant twisting is very popular for getting exposure. The more people that see you, the more likely you'll be booked.
Let people know how good you are. There is a book called, Brag, The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn Without Blowing It, I recommend it to EVERYONE. It teaches you how to acknowledge your accolades to others - something most of us have been raised not to do. Be proud of your accomplishments - there's no shame in that!

Last edited by justmarie on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:25 am 

Hey Graham,
Guess what... I found my camera! Imagine, it was right where I left it! ;)

This one was very loosely based on an actual dress. I took quite a few liberties. I pick out elements I want to replicate - in this case, the polka dots. It's debuting here... Yeah, you're all special!

Last edited by justmarie on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:50 am 

Finally I get to see this dress! I love it and I really like the polk-a-dots.

What do you do to protect your photos and to make sure that others don't "use" them to get credit for work they didn't do?

Shonna

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:17 am 

Shonna,
You're such a crack up! Most of the time I plaster that big ol' website address across my dresses.

WARNING - I'm about to be outspoken again!
Recently one of my most well publicized dresses, or at least the picture of it, was used without my permission.

I often search the web for balloon dresses for a number of reasons. I like to make sure that my site's ranking is still high. I also like to see if other artists have come up with anything new. I was quite shocked when I saw the dress I'd made for The Disney Channel being used to promote another artist with no credit being given to me. Since this other artist and I had had prior dealings, well, let's just say I was far less than complimented by situation.

The picture was later removed from the site with a pseudo apology.

What happened to me was not uncommon. It happens ALL the time. You can "watermark" your pics, you can put your website or name across them... There is NO guarantee that someone else is not going to use them. All you can do is hope that the person using your pics is not taking business away from you.

Another safety measure would be to always name the pictures you put on your website with something easily searchable in the title. That way, you can check on them and see if they show up on other sites.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm 

If you could start all over again, would you change anything?
I'm not sure if I'd do anything different. I have always really enjoyed making balloons. I sometimes wish I was working more just because the economy is so incredibly bad right now. But, at the time it wasn't necessary or even something I wanted to do. I attended every single event I possibly could - having small children was the only reason I didn't make it to more.

Who's the most famous person you have made a balloon creation for?
Sadly, I haven't really made balloons for anyone famous. I did tie the balloons that made the one balloon doggies that my kids made for Cindy Crawford - does that count? lol
Oh, wait, I made a corset for a local radio personality and another artist and I made a ride inside police car for a professional baseball player! (It was a fund raiser for an injured police officer.)

How do you keep the enthusiasm going & what still excites you about our great world of latex?
I DON'T KNOW! Isn't that funny?! I just LOVE balloons. I've been a crafter since I was four years old. Usually I stick with a hobby or craft for a few months then move on to the next. I have been working with balloons going on six years now! Maybe it's that I have a whole community of obsessive freaks (no offense) that are just as into it as I am... I honestly can't tell you why.

I love the looks of amazement on people's faces when they realize that you can create something truly beautiful from something they consider a child's toy.

By the way, those obsessive freaks I mentioned, my life wouldn't be the same without them!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:34 pm 

justmarie wrote:

By the way, those obsessive freaks I mentioned, my life wouldn't be the same without them!

I do hope you include me in those obsessive freaks that you mention ;)

http://www.balloonartwholesale.co.uk
http://www.sempertexballoons.co.uk

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:40 pm 

Graham,
You're one of the biggest freaks!
;)

Profile WWW