Qualatex Sempertex
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snurb (Sara) Interview 6/13th Aug
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 pm 

Snurb wrote:
This was a great start and we are even building it into the parties with a Generation Game style of game where they give it a go! Always a giggle!

Hi there Sara

Have really enjoyed reading your posts and getting a little insight into your world :) As someone just starting out in balloons its very inspirational. I have a little question for you though - what is your interpretation of the generation game? Do you do it with balloons?

Looking forward to finding out more about you.

Thanks in advance
Take care
KR
Sonia x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 pm 

Thanks Sonia. With the Generation game I make a model such as a rabbit, usually a simple one balloon model and then they copy. They are given the balloon already inflated.

Sorry for the lack of answers today. Having a few problems accessing the site from my compute. Can't answer lots using my phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 pm 

Yay! A quick reboot and I'm back!! Ok So here goes day 3!

Thank you to those who have posted questions. It is nice to know that you are enjoying reading this. Would be great for some others to give it a go. (It doesn't hurt and answering the questions has been a great evaluation point for me.)

Right here goes....

13, What is your favourite/ideal gig to do?
One with lots of people in a party mood! I have loved doing the Christenings. People just seem in the right mood!

14, What irritates you most at a gig?
This is an easy one, pushy mums. The sort that say ‘My daughter’s next!’ or ‘She MUST have ‘x’!’ the other one is when the kids insist on playing with the kit and taking balloons out of my apron. Grr!

15, How do you book yourself?
I ‘m not sure how to answer this one. Bookings come in from all over. I don’t go looking for work it finds me. I use Facebook and some comes from that and other is word of mouth or people who have seen me work at friends parties.

16, What’s the biggest thing you’ve ever made?
This has to be a fantasy princess, but before that it was a life size scarecrow that was my own design for a local scarecrow trail.

17, What has been your proudest achievement in our wonderful world of twisted latex?
Last year I had made a scuba diver backpack for my son when my eldest son did a dive at the Blue Planet Aquarium. This got so much interest that my son (who was not diving) got a behind the scenes tour and the Blue Planet Aquarium did a press release complete with my business name and pictures.

18, What advice would you give to someone starting out, or wanting to increase their business?
I think the best this for me has been social media., such as Facebook. You need to get other people talking about you. The other thing I would say is challenge yourself. Don’t say ‘I can’t’ but say ‘I’ll try’.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 pm 

Snurb wrote:
The other thing I would say is challenge yourself. Don’t say ‘I can’t’ but say ‘I’ll try’.

Excellent :D

http://www.balloonartwholesale.co.uk
http://www.sempertexballoons.co.uk

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 am 

Snurb wrote:
Last year I had made a scuba diver backpack for my son when my eldest son did a dive at the Blue Planet Aquarium. This got so much interest that my son (who was not diving) got a behind the scenes tour and the Blue Planet Aquarium did a press release complete with my business name and pictures.

That's fantastic advertising Sara!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 am 

Lisa Chester wrote:
Snurb wrote:

That's fantastic advertising Sara!!!

It was great! I still have the clip in my portfolio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:57 am 

Ok, today's offering.

19, What road in latex do you see yourself taking in the future
I’m a twister at heart but I am venturing into decorations, but twisting and sculptures are my passion.

20, What is your personal goal when you set off to work? Is it money or to entertain etc?
I love showing the art and opening eyes to the world of twisting. If I can make a child smile or come out of their shell, then I’m happy.

21, What are your balloon goals for the future?
Hummm….. I haven’t really thought about the future but I’d love to give up my day job and jump into this full time. It would be great to have my own store / gallery. Lol daydreams are great!!

22, If you could start all over again, would you change anything?
Besides starting earlier (before my day job wages pinned me in), nope.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 pm 

Snurb wrote:
Ok, today's offering.

It would be great to have my own store / gallery. Lol daydreams are great!!

Loving this question and answer series (probably because I am a little bit nosey - yes I admit it) No seriously its fantastic to peek into someone else's life

Question: If you won the lottery today and could open your own store what would it look like to you? Do you have an image in your mind. What would be the essential elements to it? Looking forward to hearing about your daydreams

Take care
KR
Sonia x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:48 pm 

Great question I have dreamed about this shop for a while now and I have a few cards that I am keeping close to my chest as if it does come to fruition they are very unique.

For those of you who remember Woolworths pick and mix section I'd love a wall full of different balloons, where clients could choose their own balloons to be made into sculptures or to take home. A wall of glass fronted fridges containing sculptures to buy off the shelf. A brew area with cakes and big couches(along the lines of Central Perk, a la Friends). Where I could hold jams and other events and activities, maybe a young twisters club during the holidays, where children can come and learn to twist. The window will have a theme that can be suggested by customers or can be used to showcase new up and coming artists.

I would like it to become a community focussed area. Where people come back to again and again to meet, learn, share. A place that helps people overcome their fear of balloons!

I'd have some of the ballon greats to open it, such as Ken Stillman, Buster Balloon and others.

Right!!!! I'm off to buy that lottery ticket now!,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 pm 

Snurb wrote:
Great question I have dreamed about this shop for a while now and I have a few cards that I am keeping close to my chest as if it does come to fruition they are very unique.

For those of you who remember Woolworths pick and mix section I'd love a wall full of different balloons, where clients could choose their own balloons to be made into sculptures or to take home. A wall of glass fronted fridges containing sculptures to buy off the shelf. A brew area with cakes and big couches(along the lines of Central Perk, a la Friends). Where I could hold jams and other events and activities, maybe a young twisters club during the holidays, where children can come and learn to twist. The window will have a theme that can be suggested by customers or can be used to showcase new up and coming artists.

I would like it to become a community focussed area. Where people come back to again and again to meet, learn, share. A place that helps people overcome their fear of balloons!

I'd have some of the ballon greats to open it, such as Ken Stillman, Buster Balloon and others.

Right!!!! I'm off to buy that lottery ticket now!,

Get out of my head Snurb hahaha

Great Q&A

What specialty shapes ,if any, do you like using more than any others?

Have you given any thought on doing the CBA/QBN courses for Decor?

Whats the best Jam/convention experience you would share with us?

Thanks so much!!

Profile WWW