Where to begin

Started by junkos, May 16, 2012, 01:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkos

I have been balloon twisting just for fun (my husband as well) over the past few years.  We enjoy it very much.  Its an outlet, its creative and we enjoy the fact that it puts such smiles on faces of kids and adults alike.  On many occassions, my husband does twisting for the kids (just because he feels like it) at Kinder and day care and once did a day of balloon twisting for kids for a xmas party for the women refuge.  I on the other hand like to create something more time consuming and often give the birthday child a balloon when we attend numerous parties which my kids seem to be attending lately.  On many occassions we have been asked do you do this for a job?  Do you have a business card? but our response has been NO we do it for fun.  But lately I have been thinking hey maybe we could do a little of the paid kind of balloon twisting for people and still enjoy it?  But where to begin.  Not sure I have the confidence and feel that our work is good enough for payment.  At a cross road so to say.  Your suggestions and words of wisdom very welcome.  
June

David Brenion

Well, to give you some confidence right off the bat, if people are asking for your card then you are good enough to get paid. I'm not comfortable giving you advice on how to get started because I came into this profession in a round about way and sort of fell into it. So my path and experience may not be helpful to you. Just know that you are worth it!  :D

CJ Nelson

Dave, is absolutely right, if people are asking for your card, you are good enough to get paid.  The first step would be to get a business card!  Having been where you are now several years ago, the most difficult decision was what to charge.  Figure out who else is working in your area, what they are charging, and then set a price that you are comfortable with.  Get involved with the other twisters in your area.  Get to know the others in your area as friends and peers, not competition.  When I first got started, if it wasn't for the help of another twister, I would never have gotten any work.  He referred a lot of his overflow bookings to me.  Finally I would say get educated!  Go to any conferences or meetings that you can and use the money you initially make to purchase instructional materials.
Best of luck and welcome to the rabbit hole!

junkos

Thanks for your messages and suggestions.  I will investigate further CJ as you have suggested and at least give it a go!  With the business card as we obviously are not a business what would you put on it.    I also note David you have a facebook account.  How do you set that up.  I have a personal account.  Is it add a page then I not quite sure what to put after there in the categories.  I though it would be good to post our work on there so I can put the webpage on the business card?

Thanks June