008 - BALLOON MAGIC MAGAZINE ISSUE 61

Started by nippy99, August 04, 2011, 09:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nippy99

Hi All,

Following on from my previous balloon reviews, I have decided to try to write my reviews on-line rather than upload a separate PDF. This does mean that the reviews will not be instant and will be built up on multiple posts but it may be more fun to see them expand over a period of a few days.

BALLOON MAGIC MAGAZINE ISSUE 61 - PRICE $7

I have often seen Balloon Magic Magazine advertised and with the exception of a few early issues I have never really paid much attention. I decided to take the plunge and order a big batch from the USA after seeing Patrick's Little Blue Man posted on-line. Each magazine is around $7 but they are near impossible to purchase in the UK without a subscription. So let's see what models were inside....

MERMAID - DON CALDWELL

A lovely mermaid design by Don Caldwell in his usual cartoonie style. Very chunky and cute. My lime green heart would look better slightly off-centre as she looks like she is sitting bolt upright. Fairly simple to make but time consuming and not suitable for line work.

[attachment=1:3vjszwk5][/attachment]238-mermaid.jpg[/attachment:3vjszwk5]

CRAB BRACELET - DON CALDWELL

An amazing crab or lobster which can be worn as a bracelet or be a standalone model. The use of a red 350Q for the main body makes it nice and chunky. This is a first class model and is really impressive. An easy model and a crowd pleaser.

[attachment=0:3vjszwk5][/attachment]239-lobster.jpg[/attachment:3vjszwk5]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

321Q FISH - ANDREW MCDONALD

A fish that makes effective use of coloured tipped 321Qs. I find 321Qs a bit of a handful to fully inflate the thin tip but with some practice a good squeeze of air in the main body and a fast twist of the tip will completely fill the balloon. I am not sure of the colours of this model. Not a balloon for line work and probably not one I will make too often.

[attachment=1:1cmjeoih][/attachment]240-fish.jpg[/attachment:1cmjeoih]

RUBBER DUCKIE FLOATIE - ROYAL SORELL

A very large and wearable model based on 646Qs, very fast and easy to construct. The model can be simplified by drawing eyeballs rather than using a balloon. Apologies for the photo - my daughter wasn't too impressed with having to model the balloon! A useful balloon for anyone working in holiday camps around a swimming pool. Not sure how the balloons will survive in the water but would be fun to see the kids trying to swim with them on!

[attachment=0:1cmjeoih][/attachment]241-rubberduckie.jpg[/attachment:1cmjeoih]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

CRAB - LAURA CALDWELL

An excellent little crab with a brilliant expression. The only problem I had was trying to have the legs sit properly as they didn't seem tha secure around the joint. Probably good for a table work or when you have a little more time. A really nice balloon.

[attachment=1:3lbqp7j9][/attachment]242-crab.jpg[/attachment:3lbqp7j9]

STINGRAY - LAURA CALDWELL

This is one of those balloons that has to be made and seen for real to really understand its value. From the photo in the magazine it looked pretty boring but when made the shape of the heart body and the thin wings really make a lovely shape. Instantly recognisable and easy to make. This balloon could be used for line work when there isn't too much demand.

[attachment=0:3lbqp7j9][/attachment]243-stingray.jpg[/attachment:3lbqp7j9]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

SUMMARY

Wow what amazing value for $7! This issue has some really nice, usable and impressive models. Not only that but this edition has some inspiring photos from Twist & Shout 2010, an article on the World Balloon Convention and some incredible photos of the prize winners, an interview with Rob Balchunas and some marketing tips.

BUY THIS ONE!
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

Graham Lee

I enjoyed waiting for each individual post to come up on the forum Nippy, I have all the copies from number 1 although when they first started they were not numbered but had Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter written on them.
Thanks for taking the time to do this and post for all the members and lurkers who view the site.  :D
"Lets Improve Our Art"
Balloon Excellence 2012 Award Winner
For Services to the Balloon Community.
https://www.balloonartwholesale.co.uk
http://www.sempertexballoons.co.uk

nippy99

You are welcome Graham. It's great to look back over the years to see just how much modelling has advanced as new shapes and colours of balloons were released. I'm still working on making every design I have on my shelves and I have thousands left to make.

I have now finished every design on the items listed below and I am ready to write the reviews... does anyone have a preference which one I do next??

Fun 321s - Tonya's Ebook
Backpacks - David Brenion DVD
Sitters Vol 1 - Bonnie Ebook
2FERS - Bonnie Ebook
Thunder Thighs - Tonya
Animated Art of Balloons Vol 1 - Carl Skenes DVD
Balloonclick.com May 2011 Video Tutorials - Ken Stillman
Shirley Ray Vol 3 - DVD
Something for all Occasions Shirley Ray DVD
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

KJ Entertainments

I really enjoy reading your reviews, and would welcome any more you have, I love Tonya's work and would like to see what exactly you think of it too so my vote would be for either of hers.

nippy99

Hi Dan - no problems - I will do one of Tonya's...
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

Pascal Grooten

Quote from: "nippy99"You are welcome Graham. It's great to look back over the years to see just how much modelling has advanced as new shapes and colours of balloons were released. I'm still working on making every design I have on my shelves and I have thousands left to make.

I have now finished every design on the items listed below and I am ready to write the reviews... does anyone have a preference which one I do next??

Fun 321s - Tonya's Ebook
Backpacks - David Brenion DVD
Sitters Vol 1 - Bonnie Ebook
2FERS - Bonnie Ebook
Thunder Thighs - Tonya
Animated Art of Balloons Vol 1 - Carl Skenes DVD
Balloonclick.com May 2011 Video Tutorials - Ken Stillman
Shirley Ray Vol 3 - DVD
Something for all Occasions Shirley Ray DVD

My choice: Ken Stillman's Balloonclick.

Graham Lee

Quote from: "Parcival"My choice: Ken Stillman's Balloonclick.
I'm not sure I have this right Parcival but do you want Nippy to review Balloon Click? It's a forum not a DVD/CD
"Lets Improve Our Art"
Balloon Excellence 2012 Award Winner
For Services to the Balloon Community.
https://www.balloonartwholesale.co.uk
http://www.sempertexballoons.co.uk

Pascal Grooten

Yep, great to see a review before joining.

nippy99

Hi Guys

I did list balloonclick.com on my previous post and will certainly review the video tutorials starting with May 2011 - watch this space!
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

Balloonytoons

I have loved the tutorials on balloonclick.com so it would be great to hear someone else's point of view on it.

nippy99

I will do this as my next review. Have you made the ninja turtle yet??
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

Neil

I find myself always starting these posts with - 'Yet another great review, Darren'.  The reason for this is because its always true! I admire the way you are not afraid to try the models,post your pics and invite comment on your opinion - and I for one have used your reviews many times in deciding which DVDs to buy or models to try for line work or otherwise.  You've not been wrong once!  :)

Many thanks for everything you're giving with these reviews, Darren - much appreciated.

--Neil
"I don\'t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby