047 - HAT ATTACK THE SEQUEL - ED CHEE

Started by nippy99, August 05, 2012, 03:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nippy99

047 - HAT ATTACK THE SEQUEL - ED CHEE - DVD

Available from http://www.tmyers.com for $40 plus many other on-line suppliers

A new artist to the the balloon review section, Ed Chee, who is scheduled to lecture in the UK later this year. Whilst I have had Ed's DVDs for sometime, I haven't actually viewed them as yet so it will be a nice surprise to see what is here.

Here we go...
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

MOUSE HAT

KIT LIST : 6" BLACK ROUND / 260Q BLUSH / 260Q BLACK

To start with, the quality of this DVD is excellent. Ed's instruction is first class and is easily understood and followed.

This mouse hat is fantastic as other than the obvious ears it only uses two 260Q balloons making it fast and useful for line work. Instantly recognisable this one will serve you well. I am not sure I like the eye design Ed uses and will do my own eyes next time around.

[attachment=0:2q2jgof8][/attachment]679-mousehat.jpg[/attachment:2q2jgof8]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

CARTOON DOG

KIT LIST : 350Q LIME GREEN / 260Q BLUSH / 260Q BLACK

This is a parody of Goofy. I prefer an inverted geo for Goofy's hat but i guess this one is a little quicker to make. It is certainly recognisable but not my preferred Goofy design.

[attachment=0:1ejdb1pi][/attachment]dog.jpg[/attachment:1ejdb1pi]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

WOLF

KIT LIST : 260Q GREY / 260Q WHITE / 260Q BLACK / 6" EYES

This Wolf is an excellent mask design. The only thing I would say here, is Ed's instructions when it comes to bubble sizes and how much to inflate each 260Q is not as good as it could be so you are left to working out a little for yourselves. This design can be used to make many different animals so it offers flexibility. The eyes are cleverly mounted in the eye sockets by over inflating the white rounds and then twisting a large bubble at the back. This one looks very nice and I will certainly be using it.

[attachment=0:fqzhqfq7][/attachment]wolf.jpg[/attachment:fqzhqfq7]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

WHIRLING DEVIL

KIT LIST : 260Q MOCHA BROWN / 260Q YELLOW / 260Q RED / 260Q LIME GREEN / 260Q WHITE / 260Q BLACK

A fun hat based on the Taz cartoon character. This design can be used for a variety of standing characters. The Taz itself is simplistic and quick to make. Beating's Taz is still the best but this one is recognisable and useful for line/restaurant work when you don't have a spare 30 mins!

[attachment=0:1maowe23][/attachment]devil.jpg[/attachment:1maowe23]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

Brian

I don't know who made this Taz but it's by far the best I've ever seen
[attachment=0:16wtqea0][/attachment]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345318501.137960.jpg[/attachment:16wtqea0]
twitter @Makemeabicycle
Facebook

nippy99

Hi Brian

I agree - that's pretty special.
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

MONKEY

KIT LIST : 260Q BLUSH / 260Q MOCHA BROWN

The perfect monkey armband for line work. Made of just three balloons this is quick and easy to make. The monkey face is a clever design and it looks more complex than it really is.

[attachment=0:3ikt7mrw][/attachment]monkey.jpg[/attachment:3ikt7mrw]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

PIG

KIT LIST : 350Q PINK 160Q PINK

A very quick and simple pig hat design. The face is based on the standard teddy bear face but with a tulip twist nose. Effective for line work.

[attachment=0:3ou8hywt][/attachment]pig.jpg[/attachment:3ou8hywt]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

BOYFRIEND

KIT LIST : 260Q PURPLE / 260Q PALE BLUE / 160Q WHITE / 160Q BLUSH / 260Q BLUSH / 160Q MOCHA

This 'hat' is designed to be worn on the arm. The body design reminds me of Buster Balloon's monkey and the face design is very much a variation on David Grist's. I do like the face in the way the eyes are added but my end result looks like my guy has an anteater's snout! Not sure I would spend so much time making this one in the real world.

[attachment=0:9jnwszh9][/attachment]boyfriend.jpg[/attachment:9jnwszh9]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

DOLPHIN

KIT LIST 350Q PALE BLUE / 260Q PALE BLUE / 260Q ROBINS EGG / 260Q TEAL / 160Q RED / 260Q CLEAR / 350Q WHITE

I am not very happy with the overall look of this dolphin. My top body balloon is too long and needs to be shorter. This design does have some merits. The hat base is good and I really like the tail design of the dolphin. The 160Q red hoop looks out of place as it is too small for the dolphin and the dolphin is not very stable. I would imagine on a windy day it would just tip to one side. I've seen better dolphin hats but have picked up some nice ideas by making this.

[attachment=0:34unev5i][/attachment]dolphin.jpg[/attachment:34unev5i]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

GIRLFRIEND

KIT LIST : 260Q YELLOW / 350Q BLUSH / 260Q ROSE / 260Q WHITE / 160Q PINK / 160Q BLUSH

I am not sure if girlfriend is the best description here but as a ballet dancer or angel this one is pretty good. On the DVD it really doesn't look like much but as I was making I became more impressed. The shoes are excellent in the way the ends fold over to make ballet shows. The technique Ed shows to make the dress is brilliant and ensures equal sized bubbles throughout. Again the hair design is simplistic but effective. A very nice design and a pleasant surprise for me.

[attachment=0:2gldpsa1][/attachment]girlfriend.jpg[/attachment:2gldpsa1]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

DINOSAUR

KIT LIST : 350Q RED / 260Q GREEN / 260Q WHITE

This dinosaur/dragon is simplistic but large as it is made in 350Qs. I added some white eyes myself rather than draw them on which I think looks better. Not the best dinosaur hat design and probably not something I will make again.

[attachment=0:31hbk87l][/attachment]dinosaur.jpg[/attachment:31hbk87l]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

TURTLE

KIT LIST : 260Q WINTERGREEN / 260Q LIME GREEN / 5" WHITE ROUND

A quick and easy turtle hat. The body uses just two lime green 260Qs with the 260Q wintergreen shell holding everything in place. I really like this one.

[attachment=0:3pd10hzw][/attachment]turtle.jpg[/attachment:3pd10hzw]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd

nippy99

DOG HAT

KIT LIST : 350Q MOCHA BROWN / 350Q CHOC BROWN / 160Q RED / 350Q LIME GREEN / 260Q CLEAR / ROUND BALLOON

This is an oversized standard balloon dog attached to a hat. The best part here is the ball which looks great attached to the clear 260Q and adds some animation to the hat. Easy to make and fairly quick. This hat base can be used to attached any sort of four legged creature.

[attachment=0:14y7xu1m][/attachment]dog.jpg[/attachment:14y7xu1m]
Darren Atkins
MagicWorks Ltd

Twitter :
@magicworksltd